Gross Production Average (GPA) Calculator
What is Gross Production Average?
GPA is a baseball metric that combines On Base Percentage (OBP) and Slugging Percentage (SLG) as an alternative to On Base Plus Slugging (OBPS).
GPA gives heavier weight to the On Base component of the combined two metrics compared with On Base Plus Slugging (OBPS).
How to calculate GPA
In Baseball, on GPA is calculated as follows:
GPA = ((1.8 x On Base Percentage) + Slugging Percentage) / 4
If a batter has an On Base Percentage of 0.394 and a Slugging Percentage of 0.455, then:
GPA = ((1.8 x 0.394) + 0.455) / 4
GPA = (0.709 + 0.455) / 4
GPA = 1.164 / 4
GPA = 0.291
This batter’s GPA would be 0.291.
What is On Base Percentage (OBP)?
On base percentage is a metric that evaluates how often a batter gets on base for each time they are at bat.
What is Slugging Percentage?
Slugging percentage is a metric that evaluates the number of bases a batter achieves for each at bat.
- Wikipedia – Gross Production Average
- New York Times – New Baseball Statistic, With a Nod to an Old Standard
- NCAA – Official Baseball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – Official Softball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – The Official NCAA Baseball and Softball Scorebook
- NFHS – Statistician’s Manual
- International Baseball Federation – Scoring Manual
Baseball Statistics Calculators
- At Bats per Home Run (ABHR)
- Batting Average (BA)
- Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP)
- Walks per 9 Innings (BB/9)
- Walk to Strikeout Ratio (BB/K)
- Batting Park Factor (BFP)
- Component ERA (CERA)
- Defense Independent Component ERA (DICE)
- Earned Run Average (ERA)
- Equivalent Average (EqA)
- Fielding Percentage (FCPT)
- Fielding Percentage (FIP)
- Ground Ball / Fly Ball (GB/FB)
- Ground Outs / Fly Outs (GO/AO)
- Gross Production Average (GPA)
- Hits per 9 Innings (H/9)
- Innings Pitched per Game (IP/GS)
- Isolated Power (ISO)
- Strike to Walk Ratio (K/BB)
- Left on Base Percentage (LOB%)
- On Base Percentage (OBP)
- On Base Plus Slugging (OBPS)
- Opponents Batting Average (OBA)
- Plate Appearances per Strikeout (PA/SO)
- Power Finesse Ratio (PFR)
- Pythagorean Expectation
- Run Average (RA)
- Runs Created (RC)
- Range Factor (RF)
- Runs Produced (RP)
- Stolen Base Percentage (SB%)
- Slugging Percentage (SLG)
- Save Percentage (SV%)
- Total Average (TA)
- Total Bases (TB)
- Total Chances (TC)
- Times on Base (TOB)
- Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched (WHIP)
- Extrapolated runs (XR / XRR / XRB)