What is Batting Average?
Batting Average is a baseball statistic used put a batter’s number of hits in comparison with their number of “at bats”.
It is intended to be a more accurate representation of a batter’s abilities than the total number of hits, as it compares their number of hits with their relative time at the plate.
How to Calculate Batting Average
In Baseball, batting average is calculated by dividing “hits” into “at bats”
If a batter has been at bat 127 times and made 32 hits in that time, then:
32 divided by 127 is 0.252.
Therefore, the batter’s batting average is 0.252.
What qualifies as a “hit”?
A hit is recorded when the batter safely reaches first base after hitting the ball into fair territory without the benefit of an error or a fielder’s choice.
If the batter (or runner) attempts another base and is caught out, they are still credited with the hit as long as they have reached 1st base.
What counts as an “at bat”?
An “at bat” is counted each time the player is at bat. At bats are not counted in specific circumstances, including:
- The batter being hit by a pitch
- Sacrifice fly or sacrifice hit
- Base on balls
- Inning ends while still at bat
- The batter is replaced by another hitter before the turn is completed
Batting Average Resources
- Wikipedia – Batting Average
- Wikipedia – Hit (Baseball)
- Wikipedia – At bat
- Major League Baseball – Official Rules: 10.01 – The Rules of Scoring
- ESPN – MLB Statistics – Batting
- ESPN – Batting Average Historical Leaders
- University of Virginia – Witt & Proffitt – Apparent ball size is correlated with Batting Average
- NCAA – Official Baseball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – Official Softball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – The Official NCAA Baseball and Softball Scorebook
- NFHS – Statistician’s Manual
- International Baseball Federation – Scoring Manual
Baseball Statistics Calculators
- At Bats per Home Run (ABHR)
- Batting Average (BA)
- Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP)
- Walks per 9 Innings (BB/9)
- Walk to Strikeout Ratio (BB/K)
- Batting Park Factor (BFP)
- Component ERA (CERA)
- Defense Independent Component ERA (DICE)
- Earned Run Average (ERA)
- Equivalent Average (EqA)
- Fielding Percentage (FCPT)
- Fielding Percentage (FIP)
- Ground Ball / Fly Ball (GB/FB)
- Ground Outs / Fly Outs (GO/AO)
- Gross Production Average (GPA)
- Hits per 9 Innings (H/9)
- Innings Pitched per Game (IP/GS)
- Isolated Power (ISO)
- Strike to Walk Ratio (K/BB)
- Left on Base Percentage (LOB%)
- On Base Percentage (OBP)
- On Base Plus Slugging (OBPS)
- Opponents Batting Average (OBA)
- Plate Appearances per Strikeout (PA/SO)
- Power Finesse Ratio (PFR)
- Pythagorean Expectation
- Run Average (RA)
- Runs Created (RC)
- Range Factor (RF)
- Runs Produced (RP)
- Stolen Base Percentage (SB%)
- Slugging Percentage (SLG)
- Save Percentage (SV%)
- Total Average (TA)
- Total Bases (TB)
- Total Chances (TC)
- Times on Base (TOB)
- Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched (WHIP)
- Extrapolated runs (XR / XRR / XRB)