Pace Factor Calculator
What is Pace Factor?
Pace Factor is a metric that measures number of possessions of the ball by a team in a basketball game.
A pace factor of 100 from 1 game would indicate that there were a total of 100 possessions in the game, while a pace factor of 100 over 100 games would indicate that a team averages 100 possessions per game.
How to calculate Pace Factor
Pace Factor (Pace) is calculated as:
In a game, a team has had 82 possessions and their opponents 77. The team’s players have played for a total of 240 minutes, and the match was 48 minutes long.
Therefore, this team has a pace factor of 79.5.
What is Possession in Basketball?
In basketball, possession happens when a team gains offensive possession of the ball. That possession ends when the team scores, loses the ball, or commits a foul or violation.
What is Team Minutes Played?
Team minutes played is the total number of minutes played by all players on the team.
If a regulation game is 48 minutes, then the team minutes played would be: 48 minutes x 5 players = 240 team minutes.
What is Minutes per Game?
Minutes per game is the number of minutes of regulation time in one game.
In the NBA, regulation length of a basketball game is 48 minutes.
In the WNBA, FIBA (Federation of International Basketball) and NCAA, regulation game time is 40 minutes.
High school games are often a total of 32 minutes.
Other game lengths may be possible depending on the league.
- Basketball Reference – Glossary
- Sporting Charts – Glossary – Possession
- About.com – Pace and Fantasy Basketball
- 82 Breaks – Fastbreaks: Back to the Future
- Research Methods and Performance Analysis – Csataljay, Hughes, James, Dancs – Page 178 – Pace as an influencing factor in Basketball
- Hoopdata – Defense and the “Fifth Factor”
More Basketball Calculators
- Assist Turnover Ratio
- Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%)
- Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%)
- Field Goal Percentage (FG%)
- Free Throw Percentage (FT%)
- Game Score (GmSc)
- Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%)
- Pace Factor
- Performance Index Rating
- Pythagorean Win Percentage
- Rebound Rate
- Steal Percentage (STL%)
- Team Possessions
- Total Rebound Percentage
- True Shooting Percentage (TS%)