What is Field Goal Percentage?
Field goal percentage (FG%) is a basketball metric that puts a player’s successful shots in perspective to their total attempts.
Where statistics such as total points and wins show a player’s contribution to a game, a metric such as Field Goal Percentage shows how successful that player is with each attempt to make a field goal.
Like any metrics, FG% is not a “perfect” picture on a player’s ability, only one lens to view it through.
One common criticism of field goal percentage is it does not take into account the extra value (and added difficulty) of 3 point shots – one reason that some prefer to use effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%). Another challenge with looking only at field goal percentage as a player’s ability is that it does not take into account free throws.
Field goal percentage (FG%) is calculated as:
A player has made 514 field goal attempts, an in that time has made a total of 261 field goals (both 2 and 3 point)
Therefore, this player has a FG% of .5078, or 50.78%.
What counts as a Field Goal in Basketball?
In basketball, a field goal is a basket that counts for a point with the exception of a free throw.
- Wikipedia – Field Goal Percentage (Basketball)
- Wikipedia – Field Goal (Basketball)
- ESPN – NBA Player Field Goal Shooting Statistics
- ESPN – NCAA Player Field Goal Shooting Statistics
- Sports Reference – Career Leaders and Records for Field Goal Percentage
- Sports Reference – Single Season Leaders and Career Records for Field Goal Percentage
- Deadspin – The Best Shooters in the NBA, and Why field goal Percentage Can’t Identify Them
- Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research – Basketball player field-goal percentage influence factors quantitative analysis and research
More Basketball Calculators
- Assist Turnover Ratio
- Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%)
- Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%)
- Field Goal Percentage (FG%)
- Free Throw Percentage (FT%)
- Game Score (GmSc)
- Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%)
- Pace Factor
- Performance Index Rating
- Pythagorean Win Percentage
- Rebound Rate
- Steal Percentage (STL%)
- Team Possessions
- Total Rebound Percentage
- True Shooting Percentage (TS%)