Turnover percentage is a metric that is intended to show a basketball player’s ability to score.
It is intended to be an alternative to field goal percentage, which only measures the ratio of successful shots to shots made.
Compared with field goal percentage, true shooting percentage takes into account the difference in point value (and difficulty) of 3 pointers and free throws from 2 point field goals.
Like all metrics, it is only an indicator of a player’s ability and does not tell the full story. Critics of true shooting percentage point out that the formula has difficulties near the extremes (lots of 3 pointers and almost all of them sunk) that can generate situations where a player has more than a 100% true shooting percentage.
True Shooting Percentage is calculated as:
A player has 1851 points scored across 1205 field goal attempts and 665 free throw attempts.
Therefore, the player’s true shooting percentage would be 0.618, or 61.8%.
- Sports Reference – What does true shooting percentage mean?
- Wikipedia – True Shooting Percentage
- ESPN – Hollinger’s NBA Stats – True Shooting Percentage
- Burnt Orange Nation – An Introduction to Advanced Basketball Statistics: Understanding Possession Estimation and the Factors that Control Efficiency
- Oklahoma City Thunder – What does possession in Basketball mean?
- Sporting Charts – Statistical Analysis Primer
- Orlando Pinstriped Post – Advanced Metrics Handbook, vol 2: True Shooting Percentage
- Bad Man Bureau – The Truth about True Shooting Percentage
- NBA –Official National Basketball Association Guide
- NBA – Official Rules of the National Basketball Association
- NCAA – 2014-2015 Official NCAA Basketball Statisticians’ Manual
- FIBA – Official Basketball Statisticians’ Manual 2012
More Basketball Calculators
- Assist Turnover Ratio
- Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%)
- Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%)
- Field Goal Percentage (FG%)
- Free Throw Percentage (FT%)
- Game Score (GmSc)
- Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%)
- Pace Factor
- Performance Index Rating
- Pythagorean Win Percentage
- Rebound Rate
- Steal Percentage (STL%)
- Team Possessions
- Total Rebound Percentage
- True Shooting Percentage (TS%)