Effective field goal percentage (eFG%) is a basketball statistic that complements field goal percentage by putting a player’s number of 3 point field goals into perspective.
Where field goal percentage (FG%) measures the ratio of field goals made to field goal attempts (regardless of the value of the basket), eFG% adjusts to compensate for the extra value (as well as extra difficulty) of 3 point shots.
Like any metrics, eFG% is not a “perfect” picture of a player’s ability, only one lens to view it through. One common criticism of eFG% is that shooters with very high percentage success rates which favor 3 point shots would arrive at an eFG% of more than 100%.
Effective field goal percentage (eFG%) is calculated as:
A player has made 240 field goal attempts, an in that time has made a total of 82 field goals, 77 of which were 3 point field goals (3 pointers)
Therefore, this player has an eFG% of 0.502, or 50.2%.
What counts as a Field Goal in Basketball?
In basketball, a field goal is a basket that counts for a point except for a free throw.
What counts a 3 point field goal?
A 3 point field goal is a field goal that happens when the last player to touch the ball before it goes in the net had both feet behind the 3 point line at the time of the shot or jump resulting in the field goal.
- Wikipedia – Basketball Statistics
- Wikipedia – Field Goal (Basketball)
- Wikipedia – Three-point Field Goal (Basketball)
- Sporting Charts – Glossary – Effective Field Goal Percentage
- The Score – Get to Know an Advanced Stat – Effective Field Goal Percentage and True Shooting Percentage
- Escobar on NBA – Why True Shooting Percentage and Effective Field Goal Percentage Are Wrong (and Why Our Metric Is Right)
- Breakthrough Basketball – What is Effective Field Goal Percentage? An Why YOU Should Use It
- Team Rankings – NBA Player Rankings – Effective Field Goal Percentage
- ESPN NBA – Effective Field Goal Percentage Stats
- Sports Reference – Effective Field Goal Percentage Career Leaders and Records
More Basketball Calculators
- Assist Turnover Ratio
- Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%)
- Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%)
- Field Goal Percentage (FG%)
- Free Throw Percentage (FT%)
- Game Score (GmSc)
- Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%)
- Pace Factor
- Performance Index Rating
- Pythagorean Win Percentage
- Rebound Rate
- Steal Percentage (STL%)
- Team Possessions
- Total Rebound Percentage
- True Shooting Percentage (TS%)