What is Slugging Percentage?
It is intended to be another tool for measuring a batter’s ability to earn bases along with batting average and on base percentage as it includes the total number of bases earned as opposed to just the amount of time they reach first base.
How to calculate SLG
Slugging Percentage (SLG) = (1 base hits + (2 x 2 base hits) + (3 x 3 base hits) + (4 x home runs)) / at bats.
20 1 base hits are = 20.
5 2 base hits are 5 x 2 = 10.
1 3 base hit is 1 x 3 = 3.
4 home runs is 4 x 4 = 16.
Total bases earned is 20 + 10 + 3 + 16 = 49.
49 divided by 127 at bats is 0.386
Therefore, the batter’s on slugging percentage is 0386.
What qualifies as a “hit”?
If the batter (or runner) attempts another base and is caught out, they are still credited with the hit as long as they have reached 1st base.
2 base hits, 3 base hits, and home runs are all the same qualifications as a “hit”, however they are when the batter arrives at that base in the same play.
What counts as an “At Bat”?
- The batter being hit by a pitch
- Sacrifice fly or sacrifice hit
- Base on balls
- Inning ends while still at bat
- The batter is replaced by another hitter before the turn is completed
- Wikipedia – Slugging Percentage
- Wikipedia – Hit (Baseball)
- Wikipedia – At bat
- Major League Baseball – Official Rules: 10.01 – The Rules of Scoring
- ESPN – MLB Statistics – Batting
- Baseball-reference.com – Career Leaders for SLG
- NCAA – Official Baseball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – Official Softball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – The Official NCAA Baseball and Softball Scorebook
- NFHS – Statistician’s Manual
- International Baseball Federation – Scoring Manual
Baseball Statistics Calculators
- At Bats per Home Run (ABHR)
- Batting Average (BA)
- Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP)
- Walks per 9 Innings (BB/9)
- Walk to Strikeout Ratio (BB/K)
- Batting Park Factor (BFP)
- Component ERA (CERA)
- Defense Independent Component ERA (DICE)
- Earned Run Average (ERA)
- Equivalent Average (EqA)
- Fielding Percentage (FCPT)
- Fielding Percentage (FIP)
- Ground Ball / Fly Ball (GB/FB)
- Ground Outs / Fly Outs (GO/AO)
- Gross Production Average (GPA)
- Hits per 9 Innings (H/9)
- Innings Pitched per Game (IP/GS)
- Isolated Power (ISO)
- Strike to Walk Ratio (K/BB)
- Left on Base Percentage (LOB%)
- On Base Percentage (OBP)
- On Base Plus Slugging (OBPS)
- Opponents Batting Average (OBA)
- Plate Appearances per Strikeout (PA/SO)
- Power Finesse Ratio (PFR)
- Pythagorean Expectation
- Run Average (RA)
- Runs Created (RC)
- Range Factor (RF)
- Runs Produced (RP)
- Stolen Base Percentage (SB%)
- Slugging Percentage (SLG)
- Save Percentage (SV%)
- Total Average (TA)
- Total Bases (TB)
- Total Chances (TC)
- Times on Base (TOB)
- Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched (WHIP)
- Extrapolated runs (XR / XRR / XRB)