What is Save Percentage?
It is intended to give a measure of how many goals the goalie allows for each shot that they face.
It is considered one statics among a number of other ones, including win/loss ratio and goals against average that are used to measure a goalie’s capability.
Save Percentage = saves / shots against.
388 saves divided by 419 shots is 0.926.
Therefore, the goalie’s save percentage is 0.926.
What counts as a “save”?
What counts as a shot?
A shot that is blocked by another player is recorded as a blocked shot, and is not included in the shot total.
A shot that misses the net or hits the crossbar is not recorded as a shot, but as a “missed shot”.
- Wikipedia – Save Percentage
- Wikipedia – Shot on Goal (Ice Hockey)
- Wikipedia – Save (Goaltender)
- NHL – Official NHL Rules
- IIHF – IIHF Rule Book
- FIFA – Laws of the Game
- International Hockey Federation (Field Hockey) – Rule of Hockey
- FINA – Water Polo Rules & Regulations
- TSN – Goalie Statistics
- QuantHockey – NHL Goalie All Time Leader Statistics