What is Plate Appearances per Stirkeout?
PA/SO is a baseball ratio that shows the number of plate appearances a batter makes for each time they are struck out.
A player with a higher PA/SO means they are struck out less frequently than a player with a lower PA/SO.
How to calculate PA/SO
In Baseball, IP/GS is calculated as:
PA/SO = Plate Appearances / Strikeouts
If a batter has made 549 plate appearances, and struck out 89 times, then:
PA/SO = 549 / 89
PA/SO = 6.17
This batter strikes out every 6.17 plate appearances.
What is a plate appearance?
A plate appearance is any time a batter completes a turn at batting. The turn can be completed when they are struck out, declared out, walked, awarded first base in another way (hit by a pitch, catcher’s interference, intentionally walked, or caught out.
It is different from “at bats” as at bats are subset of plate appearances – every at bat is a plate appearance, but not all plate appearances are at bats. At bats do not include events such as the batter being walked, hit by the pitch, etc.
Plate appearances can be calculated from box scores by adding At bats (AB), Walks (BB), Hit by Pitch (HBP), Sacrifice Hit (SH), Sacrifice Fly (SF), and Times Reached on Defensive Interference together.
- Wikipedia – Plate Appearances per Strikeout
- Wikipedia – Plate Appearance
- NCAA – Official Baseball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – Official Softball Statistics Rules
- NCAA – The Official NCAA Baseball and Softball Scorebook
- NFHS – Statistician’s Manual
- International Baseball Federation – Scoring Manual
Baseball Statistics Calculators
- At Bats per Home Run (ABHR)
- Batting Average (BA)
- Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP)
- Walks per 9 Innings (BB/9)
- Walk to Strikeout Ratio (BB/K)
- Batting Park Factor (BFP)
- Component ERA (CERA)
- Defense Independent Component ERA (DICE)
- Earned Run Average (ERA)
- Equivalent Average (EqA)
- Fielding Percentage (FCPT)
- Fielding Percentage (FIP)
- Ground Ball / Fly Ball (GB/FB)
- Ground Outs / Fly Outs (GO/AO)
- Gross Production Average (GPA)
- Hits per 9 Innings (H/9)
- Innings Pitched per Game (IP/GS)
- Isolated Power (ISO)
- Strike to Walk Ratio (K/BB)
- Left on Base Percentage (LOB%)
- On Base Percentage (OBP)
- On Base Plus Slugging (OBPS)
- Opponents Batting Average (OBA)
- Plate Appearances per Strikeout (PA/SO)
- Power Finesse Ratio (PFR)
- Pythagorean Expectation
- Run Average (RA)
- Runs Created (RC)
- Range Factor (RF)
- Runs Produced (RP)
- Stolen Base Percentage (SB%)
- Slugging Percentage (SLG)
- Save Percentage (SV%)
- Total Average (TA)
- Total Bases (TB)
- Total Chances (TC)
- Times on Base (TOB)
- Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched (WHIP)
- Extrapolated runs (XR / XRR / XRB)