Fenwick is the total number of unblocked shot attempts (shots and missed shots, but not blocked shots. It is also known as “Unblocked Shot Attempts” (USAT).
“Fenwick” has 3 main statistics:
- “Fenwick” (Fenwick +/-, F+/- or USAT+/-): The total number of offensive unblocked shot attempts minus the total number of defensive unblocked shot attempts.
- “Fenwick For %” (FF% or USAT For %): The percentage of all the total unblocked shot attempts produced by the team and their opponents. A FF% of more than 50% means that the team produced more shot attempts than their opponent.
- “Relative Fenwick” (FF% Rel or USAT% Rel): Shows the relative effect of a player on the ice. A positive FF% Rel means that when the player is on the ice, the team’s FF% is higher than when the player is not on the ice.
Fenwick is similar to Corsi (SAT). The difference is that Corsi includes blocked shots in its calculation.
- FF (USAT For) = Shots on Target For + Missed Shots For
- FA (USAT Against) = Shots on Target Against + Missed Shots Against
- Fenwick (also known as F+/- or USAT +/-) = FF – FA
- FF% (USAT For %) = FF ÷ (FF + FA) x 100%
- FF% Rel. = FF% with the player on the ice – FF% with the player off the ice
- All stats are taken from even strength, 5 on 5 play.
- “Shot” – An action that moves the puck towards the net that is either stopped by the goalie or is a goal.
- “Blocked shot” – An action that moves the puck towards the net that is blocked by a non-goalie player.
- “Missed shot” – An action that moves the puck towards the net that misses the net or hits the goalpost.
- “For” – An offensive action.
- “Against” – A defensive action.
A team and player have the following stats:
- For – entire team (5 on 5 play) – Shots: 1,091 – Missed Shots: 417
- Against – entire team (5 on 5 play) – Shots: 918 – Missed Shots: 422
- For – Team when player on ice (5 on 5 play) – Shots: 143 – Missed Shots: 53
- Against – Team when player on ice (5 on 5 play) – Shots: 122 – Missed Shots: 42
… then the statistics when the player is off ice would be:
- For – player off ice (5 on 5 play) – Shots: 948 – Missed Shots: 364
- Against – player off ice (5 on 5 play) – Shots: 796 – Missed Shots: 380
… and the Fenwick numbers would be:
- Team Fenwick For (FF or USAT For) = 1,091 + 417 = 1,508
- Team Fenwick Against (FA or USAT Against) =918 + 422 = 1,340
- Team Fenwick (F+/- or USat +/-) = 168
- Team Fenwick For Percentage (FF% or USAT for %) = 1,508 / (1,508 + 1,340) = 1,508 / 2,848 = 0.5295, or 52.95%
- Player Off Ice Fenwick For (FF or USAT For) =948 + 364 = 1,312
- Player Off Ice Fenwick Against (FA or USAT Against) = 796 + 380 = 1,176
- Player Off Ice Fenwick (F+/- or USat +/-) = 136
- Player Off Ice Fenwick For Percentage (FF% or USAT for %) = 1,312 / (1,312 + 1,176) = 1,312 / 2,488 = 0.5273, or 52.73%
- Player On Ice Fenwick For (FF or USAT For) =143 + 53 = 196
- Player On Ice Fenwick Against (FA or USAT Against) = 122 + 42 = 164
- Player On Ice Fenwick (F+/- or USAT +/-) = 32
- Player On Ice Fenwick For Percentage (FF% or USAT for %) = 196 / (196 + 164) = 196 / 360 = 0.5444, or 54.44%
- Player Relative Fenwick For = 54.44% – 52.73% = 1.71%
- The Hockey Writers – Hockey 201 – Fenwick and Better Know a Statistic: Corsi & Fenwick– an overview of the Fenwick statistic. This article makes more sense if you’ve also read their article on Corsi.
- Second City Hockey – Stats Made Simple Part 1: Corsi & Fenwick & Stats Made Simple Part 2: Score Close & Score Effect – An introduction to advanced statistics.
- Wikipedia – Fenwick (Statistic) and Analytics (Ice Hockey) – A summary, history, and criticism of fenwick statistics.
- Natural Stat Trick – Main Page, Team Glossary, and Player Glossary – Huge collection of hockey statistics. The glossaries are good for a quick explanation of terms.
- Rule Books for the NHL and the IIHF include definitions of terminology.