What is Defensive Rebound Percentage?
It is intended to be representative of part of a player’s defensive ability. Defensive rebounds are important to a team’s defensive strategy as they reduce the number of chances that the other team has to score on a second (or third) scoring attempt in a play.
How to Calculate Defensive Rebound Percentage
Their team has 32 defensive rebounds and has played 240 minutes.
The opposing team has 7 offensive rebounds.
Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%) = ((4 * (240/5)) / (41 * (32 + 7))) * 100%
Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%) = ((4 * 48) / (41 * 39)) * 100%
Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%) = (192 / 1599) * 100%
Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%) = 0.1201 * 100%
Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%) = 12.01%
Therefore, this player has a defensive rebound percentage of 12.01%.
What counts as a Defensive Rebound in Basketball?
In the NBA, assists that result in points from free throws (the pass is made to a player who is then fouled, followed by that player making a basket through a free throw) are not counted, however they are counted in FIBA (International Basketball Federation) matches.
What counts as an offensive rebound in Basketball?
What counts a minute played in Basketball?
Team minutes played are the total minutes played of all 5 players on the court at one time – one game of 48 minutes is a total of 240 minutes played.
- Wikipedia – Basketball Statistics
- Wikipedia – Rebound (Basketball)
- Sporting Charts – Glossary – Defensive Rebound Percentage
- Basketball Breakthrough – Why every coach should look at rebounding percentage instead of totals
- 82 Games – A study of the value of blocked shots
- B Sports – How important are rebounds?
- Court Vision – Where do rebounds go?
More Basketball Calculators
- Assist Turnover Ratio
- Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%)
- Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%)
- Field Goal Percentage (FG%)
- Free Throw Percentage (FT%)
- Game Score (GmSc)
- Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%)
- Pace Factor
- Performance Index Rating
- Pythagorean Win Percentage
- Rebound Rate
- Steal Percentage (STL%)
- Team Possessions
- Total Rebound Percentage
- True Shooting Percentage (TS%)