What is Steal Percentage?
Steal percentage is a metric that is intended to highlight the percentage of opponent team possessions that end with a steal by a specific player.
How to calculate Steal Percentage
Steal Percentage is calculated as:
A player has 2 steals and 39 minutes played, on a team that has played 48 minutes. The opposing team has had 94 possessions in this time.
Therefore, this player’s steal percentage would be 0.2619, 2.62% of total opponent possessions.
What is a steal in basketball?
A steal happens when a defensive player causes a turnover by his positive actions (as long as they are legal).
Steals are credited with the player who caused the turnover, even if they are not the individual that takes possession of the ball.
At the time a steal is credited, the offensive player who lost control of the ball is credited with a turnover as well.
What is possession in basketball?
Possess is when a team obtains control of the basketball.
That session of possession ends when they lose possession of the ball – either through scoring, losing the ball, or committing a foul or game violation.
What are minutes played in basketball?
A minute played is the time that a player is on the court during active game play.
Team minutes are the time that the team has played – in the example on this page a 48 minute basketball game (sometimes team minutes are recorded as a total of the minutes played by each player on the team – instead of 48 minutes being recorded, 240 minutes is recorded (48 minute game x 5 players).
- Sports Reference – Single Season Leaders and Records for Steal Percentage
- Wikipedia – Basketball Statistics
- Basketball Reference – NBA & ABA Year-by-Year Leaders and Records for Steals per Game
- FiveThirtyEight Sports – The Hidden Value of the NBA Steal
- Sporting Charts – What does possession in Basketball mean?
- Sporting Charts – What does steal in basketball mean?
- Wikipedia – Steal (basketball)
- SI – The art of the steal: College basketball’s best defenders explain their methods
- NBA – 2014-15 Official National Basketball Association Guide
- NBA – Official Rules of the National Basketball Association
- NCAA – 2014-2015 Official NCAA Basketball Statisticians’ Manual
- FIBA – Official Basketball Statisticians’ Manual 2012
More Basketball Calculators
- Assist Turnover Ratio
- Defensive Rebound Percentage (DRB%)
- Effective Field Goal Percentage (eFG%)
- Field Goal Percentage (FG%)
- Free Throw Percentage (FT%)
- Game Score (GmSc)
- Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%)
- Pace Factor
- Performance Index Rating
- Pythagorean Win Percentage
- Rebound Rate
- Steal Percentage (STL%)
- Team Possessions
- Total Rebound Percentage
- True Shooting Percentage (TS%)